The carnival game megaproject is a series of miniature cardboard “houses”, arranged in a neighborhood, that are meant to be interacted with tactically and visually. After a visitor interacts with a house, they will receive one digit of a “secret passcode” via a 7-segment LED. After interacting with all of the houses' features, the visitor can input the passcode to a keypad and candy will be dispensed.
These houses are done in a minimalist cardboard architecture, so you can clearly see the simple structure. Feel free to decorate them any way you want or design these games into other structures to suit your purpose.
This project would be great for a classroom to work on collaboratively, with small groups working on different parts. Each house was developed on its own Propeller Activity Board WX. FLiP modules (with breadboards) or other Propeller development boards could also be used, and some houses could be combined to share a Propeller board if necessary.
Note: This project is a guide, and will not necessarily take you through each part step-by-step. Some basic knowledge of electronics is recommended, and in some cases you may need to substitute parts if items we use are unavailable to you.
BlocklyProp Code Download
- If you are new to BlocklyProp, first do the Getting Started with BlocklyProp Solo tutorial.
- Download the SVG files for the Carnival Games
- (4) - Parallax ActivityBoard (#32912)
- (1) - FlexiForce Sensor (#30056)
- (2) - RGB LED Light Strip
- (1) - 4x4 Matrix Membrane Keypad (#27899)
- (2) - Pushbutton tact switch (#400-00002)
- (3) - Standard Servo (#900-00005)
- (3) - 7-Segment LED (#350-00027)
- (1) - Adafruit RGB LED NeoPixel Ring 12x5050 (from the Animation Kit, #910-28188)
- (1) - PING))) Ultrasonic Distance Sensor (#28015)
- Assorted 3-pin Extension Cables (#751-00010)**
**Depending on the configuration of your boxes, you may need extension cables. If you're uncertain what length you may need, Parallax offers a variety pack of different-length 3-wire extension cables.
- Pipe Cleaners
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
- Silly String spray container
- Candy - wrapped hard candies
- Rubber Bands
- Soldering iron (for NeoPixel ring)
- Hard plastic/wood/other rigid material (optional, for silly string sprayer)