To build and install running lights for your ELEv-8 v3, you will need parts and supplies from several different sources.
Custom Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs)
The PCBs are available as a shared project from OSH Park, a community batch PCB service provider. This PCB must be ordered in multiples of 3. This means that in order to get 4—one for each boom—you will have to order 6 PCBs. It may take approximately two weeks for your PCBs to be fabricated since they are made to order.
- (6) Custom PCBs - https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/Ycc6C6G5
The soldering techniques shown in this project make both traditional soldering with an iron, and also reflow soldering. A syringe of low-temperature soldering paste makes it easy to surface-mount solder with a hobby-grade heat gun or a small electric frying pan.
- (1) ChipQuick low-temp solder paste syringe - ChipQuick #SMDLTFP
- A Heat Source and Heat-Proof Surface:
- Heat Gun and a ceramic tile or old baking pan* - OR -
- Electric Frying Pan*
- Soldering Iron or Kit - Parallax Basic Soldering Kit #700-10011
- Protective Eyewear
- Fine-point tweezers or needle-nosed pliers
*Once an electric frying pan, baking pan, pizza stone, or other kitchen utensil has been used for soldering, never use it for preparing food again! Solder and soldering paste can be hazardous to ingest.
Surface-Mount Electronic Components
To build the running lights, you will be soldering LEDs, capacitors, and voltage regulators to the PCBs. The quantities shown are for 4 running lights. To build up six running lights (2 spares), multiply each of the following quantities by 1.5:
- (2) WS2812B raw LED 10 pack - Digi-Key #15251104-ND, or Adafruit #1665
- (4) uA78M05 5V Voltage Regulator SOT-223 - Digi-Key #296-12290-1-ND
- (12) 0.1 uF 0603 Ceramic Capacitors - Digi-Key #490-1542-1-ND
- (4) 22 uF 0805 Ceramic Capacitors - Digi-Key #1276-2908-1-ND
To install the running lights, you will need some additional hardware, header pins, and cables:
- (1) Saddle Washers 24-pack - Parallax #570-80061
- (1) ELEV-8 v3 Hardware Pack - Parallax #570-80300
- (1) 40-pin Single Row Header - Parallax #451-04001
- (3) 24" 3-Pin Signal-Power-Ground Cable Extension - Parallax #800-00240
- (2) 16" 3-Pin Signal-Power-Ground Cable Extension - Parallax #800-00160
Finally, to aid in the assembly and install process, you will need:
- Cotton swabs
- Paper towels
- Masking Tape
- Permanent Marker